Tuesday 3 May 2011

Chocolate Mint Slice


Chocolate Mint Slice

Inspired by:
Australian Women’s Weekly Choc mint slice recipe on ninemsn.com.au
The fact that I love mint and like to recycle.
The method of making cheesecake base.

Why?
As previously mentioned my first attempt at hot cross buns did not work out as well as I had hoped, and so I wanted to have another try at them. So instead of wasting all the ingredients and time I had spent making the first batch I thought I should recycle them somehow. I love mint and have been waiting for an opportunity to make this. Perfect match! (Next time I won't go to so much effort though!)
 
I used:
Base (old hot cross buns):
3 ¼ cups Gluten free flour mix
100g dark chocolate broken into small chunks/ chocolate chips (dairy free)
3 tbs cocoa powder (gluten free)
2 tbs caster sugar
1 sachet of dried yeast (7g)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Large pinch of salt
1 cup warm rice milk (250 mls)
50g margarine, melted(Dairy free)
1 egg, whisked
Plus to mix to form the base
50g margarine (dairy free)
1 cup rice milk (250 mls)
Peppermint layer
250g icing sugar/confectioners sugar
1 tbs  rice milk
1 tbs mint syrup (liquid sugar, colour and mint flavor)
1 tbs margarine (dairy free)
peppermint essence to taste.
Chocolate layer
150g dark chocolate (dairy free)
½ teaspoon vegetable oil

What I did:
Grease/line a baking tray.
In a bowl, crush failed chocolate hot cross buns with margarine (I usually do this with marg, sugar and biscuits for cheesecake base and it works well, but it wasn’t blending with the hot cross buns- so I decided to add milk instead). 
Gradually add milk, crushing base with a fork until mixture is moist and moldable.  
Turn mixture onto baking tray and press mixture into tray as evenly as possible. 
Put into the refrigerator to chill.
Combine milk, mint syrup (or just more milk or water), margerine, and peppermint essence; add icing sugar gradually, stirring with a butter knife, and squashing lumps against the side of the bowl.
Once the mixture is smooth and thick (add more icing sugar to thicken if needed), take the base out of the refrigerator, and using the knife, smooth the peppermint layer over the top.
 Put the slice back in the refrigerator. (Resist the urge to eat it now, there’s still one more layer!)
Let the peppermint layer set before beginning the next step.
Melt chocolate (I use the double boiler for this) and stir in vegetable oil. 
Smooth melted chocolate mixture evenly over slice and refrigerate until set.
Now you can eat!

Comments after eating Chocolate Mint Slice
YUM! It was soo good. I put a little too much milk in the base, so it took a few days for it to set properly, but we still ate it not-as-set, and it was still delicious. So good. I wish there was still some left.
 As you can see. . .by the time I got around to taking this photo. . .a lot of it had already been eaten!

1 comment: