Tuesday 26 April 2011

Chocolate Hot Cross Buns with Chocolate Chunks



I must confess that this is my. . .
2nd Attempt!
Inspired by:
My friends are posting pictures on facebook of their yummie looking hot cross bun creations and it is making me hungry!  
It is Easter time- the only time of the year for making them!
My husband doesn’t like the fruit variety, so that is a good excuse to try chocolate!
Hot cross buns-Michelle Southan- Taste.com.au 
and my favourite Brownie recipe which is originally from a Family Circle Cookbook I think.
Why?
I was craving chocolate hot cross buns. . .I made a first attempt and failed, more on that later, and I’m still craving chocolate hot cross buns. I just decided not to give up. 
I think my first attempt failed because there was not enough moisture in the mixture to help the gluten free flour to rise. I am new at using yeast in recipes, and new at using gluten free flour, so that is something I need to remember in the future! Especially after all that waiting around and kneading! 
Before I realised the reason behind my error, I decided to try the same recipe, except yeast free, and just make the flour rise with baking powder and baking soda and see what would happen ! I decided to change up the method too in the hope that it would make it taste more chocolatey. This move was inspired by my favourite brownie recipe, which always works and always tastes great.
 
I used:
3 ¼ cups Gluten free flour mix
100g dark chocolate broken into small chunks/ chocolate chips (Dairy Free)
3 tbs cocoa powder (GF)
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Large pinch of salt
1 cup rice milk (250 mls)
50g margerine, melted (DF)
2 eggs
Extra flour to dust.

For crosses
8 tsps Icing sugar/confectioners sugar
2 tsps rice milk
4 tsps Cocoa (GF)
Vanilla sachet (powdered)

For glaze to make shiny
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup water

What I did:
Preheat oven to 175C. Grease/line a baking tray.
Place butter in saucepan over low heat and melt without boiling. 
Add cocoa powder and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. 
Add sugar and milk, and stir until sugar is melted. 
Take off heat, and add cinnamon, salt, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add eggs, and mix well. Finally mix the chocolate chips into the mixture. 
Divide mixture into equal portions, and on a floured surface roll into balls. 
Place dough balls a few centimeters apart on a greased tray. 
Bake for 20mins.
When buns are cool, mix together icing sugar, vanilla, cocoa and milk to make a thick moldable icing. 
Form crosses with the icing to place on top of the buns.
For the glaze, mix together the caster sugar and water and boil for 3 minutes, or until the sugar mixture has reduced in volume. 
Brush the glaze over the buns a few times for best effect.

Comments after eating Chocolate Hot Cross Buns with Chocolate Chunks:
Relieved! They taste delish and very chocolately. A little bit cakeish, but I think they still retain the essence of trying to be a chocolate, hot cross, chocolate chunk bun. Next time I might try and put some more cinnamon in. They are very moreish, and a lot easier to make than those which involve kneading!!!
After a couple of days they begin to taste a little stale, so the quicker they are eaten the better. Still taste great though!

No comments:

Post a Comment