Friday 4 November 2011

Ants Microwave Brownie Recipe and the Brownie Bake off. . .




 Well some of you may already know this. . .
But my husband and I are quite competitive about our brownie recipes. We both believe ours is the best. So we decided to put it to some friends. Also thrown in the competition was Betty Crockers Gluten Free Brownie Mix. I’m not a fan of Packet mixes since I have begun to read labels and have realised the importance of knowing what goes in my food, but I thought it would be good competition.
So one fine Tuesday (it was a holiday) I set to baking. Once I had worked out the conversions on the back of the Betty Crocker packet I was ready to go.
Just add a bit less than 60g of melted butter and 2 eggs and 15 mins later the brownies are in the oven. 25mins later they were done. I only have to wash up one dish, so all in all- I’m pretty happy.
Now to my recipe, it also takes me 15 mins to prepare (but the other brownie is still baking so it just sits in the tray for it’s turn to bake). It also takes 25 mins to bake (although when I take it out I realise I should have taken it out at 20- its not gooey enough for my liking), and I only have to wash up one dish. All in all it’s pretty even.
Now it’s my husbands turn. His takes 15 mins to prepare too. Although I’m not sure if he’s going slower so I can watch, take notes and ask questions. It only takes 7 mins in the microwave though so that wins on preparation time easily. He used an extra bowl that he probably didn’t need to if he wanted to save on dishes, so the dish count is even at one a piece.
I’ll give you the recipe. . .and then to the tasting. . .

Ants Microwave Brownie Recipe
Inspired by:
An unknown cookbook in NZ at his mums

Why?
We were having a brownie bake off!

He used:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
100g dairy free margarine (melted)
1 cup gluten free flour
¼ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder

What he did:
In a microwave proof dish, whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla. 
Add melted dairy free margarine and stir through. 
Sift in gluten free flour, baking powder and cocoa, and mix well until combined. 
Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes.

Comments after eating Ants’ Microwave brownie!
It’s good, especially for being so quick and easy to make! Dangerously good!

Back to the competition:
So the packet mix was in an early lead, aided by the fact it was hard to tell the difference between mine and it, but in the end it was hampered by a poor after taste. 



It was delicious and squishy with lots of chocolate, but it’s overpowering sweetness and bad aftertaste lost it the title. Men in general (in all the tests we have done- small sample sizes though) prefer Ants brownie and it was the same that night. Pity there was only one man voting, and so my brownie came out victorious. Aided by the packet mix hampering it’s own campaign, and the fact that my brownie is sweet without adding chocolate, cakey without the cake and is supposed to be moist without too much goo, (am I rejoicing too hard here?) well perhaps I am over doing it.
All in all, all the brownies are good, and really it was our taste buds that won out that night.
See if you can pick which is which.
Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment