Wednesday 8 February 2012

Custard


Custard



Inspired by:
Recipe on the BBC.co.uk by Mary Berry

Why?
My Australian friends and I had tried to make pavlova and so we were left with 4 egg yolks. I have always wanted to make custard from scratch and this was my chance.

Time Taken:
15 minutes.

Number of Dirty Dishes:
Measuring cups, spoon, whisk, bowl, saucepan, teaspoon

I used:
2 cups of rice milk
1 tsp vanilla powder
4 egg yolks
2 tsp corn flour (gluten free)
½ cup sugar

What I did:
In a medium sized bowl whisk eggs and sugar together. 
Add corn flour and whisk until well combined. 
In a medium sized saucepan heat rice milk until it simmers, then remove from the heat and pour over the egg mixture. 
Whisk together and then return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over a low heat until the mixture thickens. 
Serve immediately.

Comments after eating Custard:
My friend said it tasted very similar to the egg custard her grandmother made (although the rice milk gave it a slightly different flavor), and I was satisfied with the result, even though I have only tasted custard made from custard powder. After eating it our other friend decided she liked it so much that she was inspired to make it at home, which is the best complement anyone can give me!

What I would do different:
I actually put in 4 tsps of corn flour, but 2tsp is enough (and 2tsp was how much was in the original recipe).
It goes well with mixed berries, but not as nice with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment