Thursday 5 January 2012

Chocolate Biscotti



Chocolate Biscotti

Inspired by:
Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbook Traybakes and Slices- that I picked up at Dubai Airport.

Why?
My husband wanted me to use up the last two eggs in the fridge. I have a chocolate and coffee loving Australian friend staying with us at the moment, so I thought it was the right time to try making these.

Time Taken:
15mins+30 baking+10 resting+20 mins baking=approx 1 hour 15 mins.

Dirty Dishes:
Bowl, fork, wooden spoon, tray, measuring cups, knife.

I used:
2 eggs
1 cup castor sugar
1tsp coffee
1 2/3 cups gluten free plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup cocoa
50g dairy free dark chocolate broken into chips
½ cup dairy free rice milk

What I did:
Line 40cm x30cm baking tray and preheat oven to 180C. 
In a medium bowl use a fork to whisk together the eggs, sugar and coffee. 
Add gluten free flour, baking powder, cocoa, and dairy free milk and mix well with a wooden spoon. 
Finally mix in chocolate chips, and with floured hands make dough into a 25cm log shape and place on tray. Bake for 30 minutes then let cool on tray for 10 mins. 
Reduce oven to 150C. 
Using a serrated knife cut across the log diagonally into slices 5mm wide. 
Place these slices in one layer on the tray to bake for 10 minutes on each side or until crisp.

After eating Chocolate Biscotti:
I want to eat more! So delicious and crisp and chocolatey!

Comments and what I would do different:
The original recipe called for ¼ cup of cocoa and 1 2/3 cups of flour. Next time I will try making it with ½ cup less flour, and then I hope I won’t have to add so much milk, or perhaps just another egg to counter the dryness of the gluten free flour.Update: I used this recipe to make another experiment (not perfect yet) but I used less flour and no milk and it worked perfectly.
I found cutting the log to be challenging! Bits were breaking off everywhere, perhaps there was too much moisture, or I hadn’t cooked it long enough. Not so neat, but those crumbs will still be delicious in the end. I also couldn't cut every slice as thin as I was supposed to and so on the second bake, the baking time was longer.
Dip in chocolate for extra indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment