Wednesday 25 January 2012

Quick Chocolate Mousse


Quick Chocolate Mousse


Inspired by:
Nigella Lawson’s Instant chocolate mousse

Why?
It’s Australia Day on the 26th of January, and I wanted to make something that was “Australian.” The last time I had checked the shops, they did not have golden syrup so I could not make Anzac biscuits, and recently some dictionary has ascribed the Pavlova to New Zealand (although I am planning to make one next week for our next lot of visitors) so I thought I would try making fake Timtams! I’m using chocolate mousse for the chocolate icing inside them so I made a little extra for dessert.

Time Taken:
10 mins melting+ 10 mins cooling+ 20 mins refrigeration =40 mins.

Dirty Dishes:
Saucepan, spoon

I used:
150g Gluten free marshmallows
1 Tbs of dairy free margarine (can substitute for oil)
250g dairy free chocolate (I used 40% cocoa solids)
¾ cup dairy free milk substitute
1tsp vanilla essence/powder.

What I did:
Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan over a low heat. 
Stir mixture continually until marshmallows are melted, taking care not to boil the mixture. 
Let mixture cool for ten minutes, and then pour into serving dishes and refrigerate for 20 minutes. 
If desired, a teaspoon of mint or another essence can be mixed in before refrigeration to give the mousse another flavor. 
Serve and enjoy.

Comments after eating Quick Chocolate Mousse:
Delicious, we enjoyed it and so did our visitors. My husband said he liked it better than the other mousse and better than my chocolate brownie. . .which I can't remember him saying before.

What I would do different:
Next time I will ensure I stir on the bottom enough, as at the end I thought I had burnt it a little, but the chocolate had just congealed. I’d probably make more so I can eat it again as it serves 4-6 depending on portion size and so this time there wasn't too much left for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment