Tuesday 19 April 2011

Pear Sorbet


Inspired by:
Jamie Oliver’s Pear Sorbet Recipe

Why?
There was a can of halved peaches left in the cupboard which had been purchased by a family we had staying with us a few weeks ago. The weather is becoming quite warm now, so it is definitely the season for it, and really of all the recipes that involved pear, this seemed the most appealing one to play with.
 
I used:
1 cup caster sugar/white sugar
1 cup water (approx 200ml)
1 can of halved pears in juice 
(411g -I think the can label read that just over half of the weight was syrup, but my Italian is not that good yet to be certain.)
1 sachet of Vanilla (powder)

What I did:
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. 
Put it on the stove, fire up the element and bring the sugary syrup to the boil.
Boil for 3 minutes and add the pears and their syrup, boil for another 5 minutes, or less if you think they are soft enough to mush/squish. 
Take the saucepan off the heat (turn off stove too of course) and working carefully to avoid any splashes, puree the pears with a fork.
If you have a blender, using it to blend the mixture may be a much easier option than the fork method, (although it might involve more washing up). 
Once the pears have been pureed to your satisfaction, add the vanilla and stir. 
Pour into a heat proof bowl or container to cool. 
Once cool enough, place in the freezer to set. 
Best practice is to stir the sorbet a couple of times to help with the setting process. 
Check on the sorbet once an hour and stir through any frozen parts which have formed around the edges of the dish. 
Once it is set, eat and enjoy! 
Enough for six people,  or you can do the maths on the other options.


This one took about 4 hours until it was nearly set (and then I went to bed). I think freezing time also depends on the temperature and quality of your freezer. If you have an ice cream maker, you may be able to use this to set the sorbet, I however have no experience with these things. I do remember that everyone who refers to the machines in recipes will always remind readers that they will have to check the manufacturers instructions, as if it was a real danger that a consumer might accidentally put the wrong setting on their pear sorbet and they might get a smoothie from the machine instead *Shrugs* I guess those lucky ice cream maker owners will have to read the manufacturers instructions to find out!

Ps. Ice cream is my favourite food, of course I’m secretly jealous of you ice cream maker owners!

Comments after eating Pear Sorbet:
Delish! And surprised. . .I think I’m going to be making sorbet and ice cream every week. I didn’t realize how easy it was! Although it does melt faster than store bought sorbet- which is to be expected, I think smaller portions mean it won’t melt before it is eaten, or freezing it in individual serves so the serving dish keeps it cold would be ways around this!

 Next time I will remember to take the picture the way I want it to appear on my post so it doesn't get spun around. My apologies.

Enjoy

L xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment