Friday 30 September 2011

Muesli Slice


Muesli Slice

Inspired by:
Golden Circle Kids Cookery Book Anzac biscuit Recipe

Why?
Some visitors left some non gluten free muesli and some dairy butter at our house and I didn’t want to waste them. As well as making this for the gluten and dairy tolerant friends and family around, I wanted to make some for me too!

I used:
1 cup gluten free muesli (of your choice, I used oat muesli because its allowed in my gluten free diet. I know oats aren't permissable for some)
1 cup desiccated coconut
¾ cup sugar
½ cup gluten free self raising flour
100g dairy free margarine OR 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs vegatable oil.
2 Tbs golden syrup


What I did:
Preheat oven to 160C, and line 20x30cm tray.
In a medium sized bowl combine gluten free muesli, coconut, sugar, and gluten free self raising flour and mix well with a wooden spoon, and set aside. 
In a small saucepan over low heat melt dairy free margarine or oil and golden syrup together. 
Once melted take off heat (turn off stove) and pour the margarine and syrup mixture over the muesli mixture. Mix thoroughly. 
Pour the mixture onto the tray when it is thoroughly combined. 
Press into the tray, making sure there is an even spread of mixture. 
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. 
The mixture may still be bubbling when it has browned and is cooked, but will set when it is cooling.

Comments after eating Muesli slice!
It is tasty, but probably has too much margerine and sugar in it to be too healthy! It's very filling, which is a bonus! And lasts for quite a while! If you are using oil it will end up being a bit crunchier than if using margerine. Random tip-I find it's much easier to break into pieces than to cut!


No comments:

Post a Comment