Thursday 20 October 2011

Lemon Butter


Lemon Butter


Inspired by: Bestrecipes.com.au

Why? I bought too many lemons for the lemon bars, and I LOVE lemon butter. It is my spread of choice!

I used:
4 eggs
¾ cup sugar
½ cup lemon juice (about 2 squeezed lemons)
2 Tbs grated lemon zest
125g chopped dairy free margerine

What I did:
Place eggs and sugar over a bain-marie that is boiling on a medium heat, and whisk with a fork until sugar has dissolved. 
Add lemon juice, zest and chopped dairy free margarine. 
Continue whisking until mixture is smooth and the margarine has melted, making sure the mixture does not boil. 
When the mixture has thickened enough to coat the fork, take off the heat (turn off the stove) and pour into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly (you can see from the picture I didn't have any jars. . .I just put it in a sterilised container I could seal). 
Keep in the refrigerator.

Comments after eating:
Yum, yum, yum! I want to eat it all the time! It would taste great as an icing, or a sauce over a pudding, as well as on toast or muffins. Delicious!
You can also make this curd with oranges (frozen is below) or other fruits. Just substitute the lemon juice and zest for the juice and zest of the other fruit. It's quite nice frozen too (below).





No comments:

Post a Comment