Wednesday 31 October 2012

Un-fallen chocolate cake


Un-fallen chocolate cake

Inspired by: 
A recipe in Marie Claire magazine

Why? 
A friend shared this recipe with me.
The first time I made this cake we had to do a lot of tweaking with the cooking time as it was raw so I wanted another try to see how it would work.

Time Taken: 
20 mins prep+45mins-1hr bake= 1 hour 20 mins

Number of Dirty Dishes:
Pie dish, small bowl, fork, large saucepan, spoon, whisk, medium sized bowl

I used:
255g dairy free chocolate
255g softened dairy free margarine
6 separated eggs
1 ½ cups castor sugar

What I did:
Preheat oven to 180C and line a 30cm round pie dish. 
In a small bowl beat egg yolks and sugar, with a fork, until pale.
In a large saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate and margarine, stirring to make sure it does not burn. Once melted take saucepan off heat (turn off stove top) and mix yolk and sugar into the chocolate.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk whites until stiff peaks form and fold into chocolate mixture. 
Once combined, pour cake mixture into pie dish and bake for 45 minutes or until crust solidifies.
Take out of the oven, let cool and cut into slices.
Eat and Enjoy!

Comments after eating un-fallen chocolate cake:
To me it tastes like a very naughty fudgy brownie. 
It was a hit with the 12 people we shared it with, who all went back for more!
The recipe describes that the cake will rise and fall but in both my attempts at this I didn't witness any rising and falling. 

What I would do different:
I don't think this recipe needs that much margarine. Next time I will try and reduce the amount to 200g.

No comments:

Post a Comment