Wednesday 24 August 2011

Blondies


Blondies

Inspired by:
Garrett McCords recipe on Simply Recipes (I don’t actually know who he is)

Why?
I heard reference to this baked goodie in *shame* the Nancy Drew movie, and it got me curious about what it was.

Next time I would use: 
Tto be honest it took me two goes to get this one right. The first time I followed his recipe pretty well (for me anyway). . .with only a tiny bit of tweaking, and it didn’t work out (it was edible but not right). So I’ll post here the recipe that I will use next time, cause I think it will work.  .. and you guys can try it or I'll try it (whichever happens first) and someone will know. I’ll tell you what I actually did after that.

110g dairy free margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla powder/essence
2 cups self raising gluten free flour (I'd even experiment with 1 1/2 - 2 cups flour)
pinch of salt
3 tbsp of golden syrup.

What I would do:
Preheat oven to 180C, and grease/line tin 25cmx 35cm.
In a saucepan melt margarine, golden syrup and sugar over low heat, stirring so it doesn’t boil or burn. 
Add vanilla and salt and take off the heat (turn off element). 
Add flour and mix well, then beat in eggs. 
Pour into pan and bake for 20 mins or until a tester comes out clean. 

UPDATE: 
I have tried the above method (1 1/2 cups flour) to much success! Tastes great, and is very easy to make!

What actually Happened. . .
I used:
110g dairy free margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla powder/essence
1 cup self raising gluten free flour
pinch of salt
3 tbsp of golden syrup.

Later I added
2/3 cup rice milk (dairy free)
1 egg
1 cup gluten free self raising flour

What I did:
Preheat oven to 180C, and grease/line tin 20cmx15cm.
In a saucepan melt margarine, and sugar over low heat, stirring so it doesn’t boil or burn. 
Add vanilla and salt and take off the heat (turn off element). 
Add flour and mix well, then beat in egg. 
Pour into pan and bake for 30 mins.
After 30 mins it was quite candified, and so after tasting it, I decided against making it into something else, and tried to salvage it.
I melted the candied dough in a medium saucepan over low heat with 2/3 cup rice milk until it had dissolved. I then added the flour until it had reached a thick enough consistency (like I would expect for brownies) and then added the egg. 
I put it back in the oven for 20 mins.
Below is the result.

Comments after eating Blondies Mark 2!
They taste much better than attempt one, although maybe I put too much flour in as they were a bit cakier than I had hoped, although they do have the fudgy consistency. It’s hard to know if they taste like what they are supposed to- kinda like gingerbread cake without the ginger, mixed with caramel, as I have never eaten a blondie. Oh well, it’s an easy enough recipe. . I’m sure I’ll try it again and let you know. If anyone tries it before I do- please let me know!
My husband and the people in his department at work liked it, so that's always good!

No comments:

Post a Comment